When you sit down to play a game of scrabble or even words with friends naturally the first thought that comes to your head is to obtain as many high scoring words as you can and that will help you win. What is more exciting than scoring a 60 to 70 point word right? We if you have played scrabble for any length of time you know that getting words to score high is not that often. So what do you do with the rest of your letters? That's where skill comes into play and I am going to show you why.
Scrabble consists of 100 tiles. Of the 100 tiles 70 of them are worth 1 point. These letters are E, A, I ,O U, N, R, T, L, S. With that taking up 70% of the letters in the entire game of scrabble you are only left with 30% of the tiles to form higher scoring words. At this point your odds aren't too bad, but they are not looking to good. If you noticed in the 1 point letters that all of them are vowels. According to Parker Brother 66% of all the words in the official word list contain vowels. That will only leave you 34% of all the words you can make without vowels. Of that 34% you only have a 30% chance to make a word. Doesn't seem to promising at this point does it? This is where the question "High Scoring vs. Low Scoring" comes in. Just based on odds you have a 70% chance to form a word with 1 point tiles.
On average there are roughly 20 - 25 words that are played during a game of scrabble. This can vary depending how many smaller words you play. This in effect will also most likely be a lower scoring word.
Lets take the example of 25 words. If you were to use an average of 2 letter words during your game, with each tile consisting 1 point you would have an average score of 50 points. We are not taking double and triple letter and words scores here, just the raw numbers.
Now lets take larger words with an average of 5 points. In order to reach 50 points you would have to play ten words to match the 50 points. Seems easy enough, but remember that only 30% of those words that contain a score like that can be played. So you have a 30% chance to score 50 points. If you take the 2 letter words, you have a 70 percent chance to make 50 points. Which one seems the most likely road?
Now of those 2 letter words how many variation are there? There are a total of 92 variations of words you can play. Most of these contain vowels, which also happen to be all 1 point tiles. When making words you have a better chance to be able to line up a word horizontally to another word and form several 2 letter words vertically. This may seem hard, but that is where a good cheat tool comes into play. The one we have on our site allows you to lock letters into their position. This can allow you so filter your results to find more 2 letter words vertically that can match up when you play a word horizontally. In the following image we show how this is done.
There are many great opportunities you can take to play lower scoring words (2 letter words and 3 letter words) than there are high scoring words. The odds alone prove this to be true. We have found that on average you can improve your score by 75 - 80 per game. Try it!
Thanks for reading this article. If you like what you read please share it.